Sunday, September 2, 2012

Our God Speaks

I have no idea what I'm doing, seriously.  What I hope to do is bring encouragement to others by sharing everyday stories about how Jesus moves in my life.

For the past several months I have struggled with living a healthy lifestyle.  By that, I mean that I don't exercise regularly and I certainly don't eat right.  Pretty sure I have the strongest sweet tooth in the world.  Not kidding at all.  Plus, I have a pretty healthy appetite.  Put those two together and BAM! you've got middle age spread and little energy, especially if you're in your early 50's.

I'll spare you the "what I've tried", "how I just couldn't get motivated" ... that's not important and at this point it's meaningless.  I want to tell you the meaningful part!  The part of the story that finally got my attention!

On a recent Tuesday I went for my 6-month physical.  (6-month physicals are routine when you take blood pressure medicine and you're getting old{er}).  My blood pressure was good, heart was good, breathing ... all that was good.  Then the doctor says,  "That's all good.  What I really want you to focus on are lifestyle changes."  So, he typed in my chart:  
Eliminate carbs such as refined flour (bread, even whole-wheat, pasta, cereals), liquid carbs like soda, fruit juices, and starches (potatoes, rice, corn).
Eat more meat, eggs and vegetables, nuts, berries.  Fruit in moderation.
Eat full fat products rather than low fat
If it's white, wheat, or sweet, don't eat! 
Whoah!  Some of this is new and some of it I've heard all my life. You probably have too.

Well.  He was serious.  Think it's time I get serious.  So between Tuesday & Thursday I started trying to eat better (except for that pint of ice cream I ate Thursday evening!) and take regular walks/runs.

THEN CAME FRIDAY ...

Being off work on this particular Friday, I started my day sitting outside on the deck with Jesus and a good strong cup of java.  I sat and read my bible, reading Hebrews Chapter 11 which is all about FAITH...FAITH that God will do what he says he will do, FAITH to follow Him even we are unsure of where He's taking us.  Sometimes we just need to LISTEN, sometimes we just need to ASK and sometimes we just need to BELIEVE.  Sometimes we need to do all three.  After reading, I exercised by going for a brisk walk.  As I walked, I talked.  I talked to Jesus, praising him for His many blessings on my life, for his exisitence and for inspiring men to write down His word.  I praised him for NEVER leaving my side.  I began to tell him how I have FAITH that he does all that he says he will do.  I prayed to Jeus about my health, telling him that I KNOW I need to change my lifestyle and I KNOW that it's important for me to eat healthy and to exercise regularly.  I confessed how hard it is to do either and that's it near impossible to do both, and that I KNOW I CAN'T DO IT BY MYSELF, and that I have FAITH that he will help me from this point forward.  I asked the Lord to help me have self-discipline to follow through with instructions from the doctor.  I just kept talking and walking.  And then it happened ...

I was 1/2 mile into my walk when my cell phone rang.  It was the nurse from my doctors office.  The results from my blood work on the previousTuesday had come back and my triglycerides were high and my level of Vitamin D was low.  I was to go on a low-cholesterol diet immediately to try and lower my cholesterol, have a re-check in 3 months and if my cholesterol isn't down, I'll be going on medicine. 

This was all I needed!  CONFIRMATION STRAIGHT FROM GOD!  Confirmation that God heard me, that he was concerned for my health, that he wants to grant me the desires of my heart.  He has spoken!  Oh yes he has!  The timing of that phone call is no coincidence.  This is God's way of letting me know what happens when I take time to be still and spend time with Him.  This is what happens when I have FAITH, when I BELIEVE, when I TALK and when I WALK ... WALK WITH HIM!

Psalm 46:10 ~ He says, “Be still, and know that I am God..."

Psalm 145:19 ~ He fulfills the desires of those who fear him;

                           he hears their cry and saves them.

SandraDee

No comments:

Post a Comment